Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Recipe: White wine, Orange and Chilli Roasted Lamb Leg

I say lamb leg, I THINK this is a lamb leg joint, with a bone in the middle, you guys may have to correct me if I'm wrong? I got three of these with my big lamb hamper from Welsh Lamb- I cooked one this way, one is in the freezer, and I brought one to work- which I roasted with wholegrain mustard, parsley and cider, for the boys. Well, whatever cut it is, it's certainly delicious and tender cooked with this method. I didn't eat this as a "roast" dinner actually- I've saved the meat, and have been using the meat in curries/ tagines, and I used the spicy lamb stock/ pan juices to make a biriyani yesterday- don't worry, recipes will be following suite!
White wine, Orange and Chilli Roasted Lamb Leg (serves 6)

2kg lamb leg joint (bone-in)
1 orange, zest and juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp hot chilli powder/ chilli flakes
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
400ml white wine

1)      Preheat the oven to 150C. Put the lamb leg in a roasting tray. Mix together the orange juice and zest, olive oil, chilli flakes, fennel seeds, parsley and plenty of salt and pepper. Rub all over the lamb.
2)      Pour the white wine into the roasting tray (and add the orange leftover bits- don’t chuck them away!), double wrap with tin foil, and roast in the oven for 5 hours. Remove from the oven, and flake the meat off the bone.
3)      Use the pan juices as a “jus”, or thicken with some cornflour to turn into a sauce. Serve with desired accompaniments!

No comments:

Post a Comment