Thursday, January 22, 2015

Recipe: Sweet Potato Pie

Gosh, this really isn't going to last long in the fridge- I'm supposed to be taking half of it into work tomorrow but part of me wants to keep it all to myself! This is my attempt at making a sort of American style "Pumpkin pie", with the traditional spices and flavourings, but made with sweet potatoes- mainly because they are more easily available round where I am (unless it's Halloween you don't really see pumpkins in the shops do you??), cheap and I find them much easier to prepare than pumpkin (I find the tough peel with pumpkins very fiddly). Pre-bought tart case, so a cheat's recipe again, but I'm sure your dinner guests wouldn't be complaining!

Sweet Potato Pie (serves 6)

450g peeled and diced sweet potato
1 large egg
80g crème fraiche
100g golden caster sugar
1 tbsp gingerbread syrup
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 x 195g Edlers Sweet Pastry Case

1)      Preheat oven to 180C. Boil the sweet potato for about 25 minutes or until soft. Drain and mash. Mix with the crème fraiche, caster sugar, syrups, mixed spice and vanilla extract.
2)      Pour the Sweet potato mix into the tart case. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow at least 1 hour cooling in the fridge before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment