Sunday, December 28, 2014

Recipe: Christmas Biryani

Gawd, I am absolutely stuffed! I actually didn't eat that much on Christmas day, as unfortunately I was working until about 4pm (chef-ing at Hall and Woodhouse feeding about 70 people. I say "unfortunately" but actually us chefs all had a right laugh, was quite good fun), BUT I went completely mental with all the leftovers on boxing day. Scoffing bowls of rum cake and chocolate gateau that my mother in law made, then chocolates, then potato salad, luush! I had leftover turkey from work, and some leftover gammon from mummy in law, and some sad looking vegetables in the fridge, and made this really scrummy dish. You guys might have noticed but I am loving these pouches of instant cooked rice at the moment. I know you are supposed to microwave them but they work really well stir-fried.

Christmas Biryani (serves 3)

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 white onion
3 garlic cloves
½ white cabbage
1 large red pepper
Large handful fresh parsley (plus extra for garnish)
20g mild curry powder
10g turmeric
2 bay leaves
400ml chicken stock
1 generous tbsp chilli jam
125g diced cooked turkey
125g diced cooked gammon
1 x vVeetee Pilau rice pack
Salt and pepper to taste

1)      In a large wok, fry the onion, garlic, cabbage, pepper and fresh parsley for 10 minutes. Add the curry powder, turmeric and bay leaves, and fry for a further couple of minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
2)      Add the turkey and gammon and cook for 5 minutes. Add the Veetee rice, and stir fry for about 5 minutes, until everything is well combined, and the sauce has been absorbed by the rice. Season to taste and serve with some extra parsley on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment