Friday, October 3, 2014

Recipe: Steak Tartare

My father in law has been bugging me to make this for him for months so I figured I'd make it whilst we were all on holiday together. I must admit, even I was a little nervous about the concept of the dish- steak tartare is a very traditional French dish, which consists of raw, finely diced, good quality fillet steak, mixed with various ingredients (e.g. shallots, mustard, capers), and served with a raw egg yolk on top. Maybe due to nerves, I had mine without the egg yolk on top, but Brian had it as it was supposed to be, and said it was fab. I was very pleasantly surprised too- because you don't cook the steak, the meat is incredibly tender, and all the capers/gherkins gives it a very pleasant flavour. So don't be scared, give it a go yourself! It's very important to not try to make this with minced beef- you'll just make yourself ill! It has to be steak, and has to be fillet.

Steak Tartare (serves 3)

3 good sized, good quality fillet steaks, finely diced
12 little shallots, peeled and finely diced
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
20ml Worcestershire sauce
18 cornichons, finely chopped
2 tbsp capers
Salt and pepper to taste
3 egg yolks (optional)
Salad and bread on the side

1. Mix together all of the ingredients (except egg yolks and serving suggestions!). Season to taste, and spoon evenly into 3 moulds. Put the steak tartares onto the plates, and top with an egg yolk.
2.  Serve with salad and bread if desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment