Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Recipe: Herby Grilled Mackerel

First of all, I just have to say I have been very VERY impressed by the entries that have been submitted into my recipe competition- the pictures of the final dishes and recipes in general have been of such a high standard, it will be very difficult to judge a winner! The competition has ended now, and I'm hoping to announce the winner sometime this week!

Aside from all the competition excitement, I recently went on a wonderful holiday to the Isle of Wight. Fantastic place, lots of fun, so much to do, and a lot of lovely places to eat. We  (me, my boyfriend and his parents) mostly self catered during the holiday, and we really did it justice. On the first morning of the holiday, we went mackerel fishing off Yarmouth harbour. I didn't catch anything! Not a sausage (well, fish, lol)! But my boyfriend, his parents, and the fisherman that took us all caught about 2 or 3 each- so we had 10 juicy big mackerel to take home. Despite not catching any, I think I redeemed myself from my poor hunter gathering skills by cooking these mackerel perfectly (after my father in law very quickly and nicely gutting them for me)! Here are pictures of my boyfriend fishing, the catch, and the finished results!

Herby Grilled Mackerel (serves 4 as a starter, 2 as a main course)

10 x fresh mackerel, gutted
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 large stalks fresh rosemary, leaves removed
5 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
50g fresh ginger (I use Very Lazy ginger strips in white wine vinegar)
Salt and pepper
Lemon wedges, bread and butter to serve

1. Preheat the oven to 200C. Lay the 10 mackerel in an ovenproof dish. Drizzle the fish with the olive oil, and sprinkle over the rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Then stuff the mackerel bellies with the ginger.
2. Turn the oven onto a hot grill, and grill the mackerel for about 16 minutes, or until the skin has started to char, and the flesh is soft. Serve with lemon wedges, bread and butter as a starter- or with potatoes and salad for a main course.


No comments:

Post a Comment