Saturday, October 11, 2014

Recipe: Chocolate and Almond Cake

Back to my baking again, hoorah! Want to bring nice things in for my boys in the kitchen, I kinda enjoy baking, and have really been indulging in my sweet tooth lately. I've given up coffee recently, just because I reckon it makes me over-anxious/hyper, so have been having hot chocolate or herbal teas instead. A result of this is now I'm addicted to chocolate- something I've never really been bothered much about before! When it comes to baking though, I like to keep it simple, and I don't have a mixer (or room for a mixer for that matter!), so everything is done by hand.

Chocolate and Almond Cake (serves 8)

100g margarine
200g light brown sugar
2 medium eggs
80ml evaporated milk
75ml skimmed milk
¼ tsp almond extract
30g cocoa powder
180g self-raising flour

Icing:
65g margarine
20g cocoa powder
225g icing sugar
40ml evaporated milk
¼ tsp almond extract
20g flaked almonds

1)      Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line (with greaseproof  paper) 2 x 18cm round cake tins Cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs, evaporated milk, skimmed milk and almond extract, until well combined.
2)      Add the cocoa powder and flour and beat until everything is well combined and the mixture is nice and silky. Pour the cake mix evenly into the tins, and bake in the oven for 38 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove from the tins and cool on a cooling rack for at least 20 minutes.

3)      Mix together all the icing ingredients (except almond flakes) until a smooth thick icing is made. Spoon about 3 tbsp of the icing to sandwich the two cakes together, and then spread the rest of the icing on top and around the cake. Top with the flaked halves, and its ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment