Thursday, February 6, 2014

Recipe: Chicken Sagwala

This is one of my favourite Indian restaurant dishes so I thought I would have a go at perfecting it. This is pretty darn close, I'm not going to lie! I reckon the only difference is Indian restaurants tend to use a lot more fat (ghee) than I do, but that's because I'm watching my waistline! "Sag" or "Saag" means spinach in Indian. Feel free to add some chilli if you want, but what I like about this dish is that it's got a lot of flavour but no chilli heat. For me, nothing says winter warmer like eating a big bowl of curry and rice whilst the weather is ghastly outside- this is why I am entering this recipe into Co-operative electrical shop's winter warmer recipe competition. You've got until the 21st February to enter your winter warmer recipes, to win £750 grand prize (to spend at Co-operative electrical) or £250 runners up prize, check out the details here:  http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/eStore/Content/competition

Chicken Sagwala  (serves 3)
480g frozen spinach
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Large handful fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbsp medium curry powder
3 large chicken breasts, diced
300ml chicken stock
3 tomatoes, finely diced
½ tsp lemon juice
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste

1. Boil the spinach for 3 minutes, drain, and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of it. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, fry the onion, garlic and coriander for 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, reserved spinach and chicken, and cook on a high heat for a further 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the chicken stock, and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and lemon juice and cook for a final 4 minutes. Season to taste, and serve, with brown rice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment