Thursday, January 23, 2014

Recipe: Healthy Chicken and Cauliflower Curry

My diet has been going on since literally the day after boxing day, (had leftover Christmas cheese and terrine and things to eat but I didn't pig out on it- was sensible with leftovers) and it's been going really well! I've lost 7.5 pounds since then, and more importantly 3 inches off my waist! I've been exercising every day with my exercise step (nice Xmas pressie from my brother) and been cutting out white carbs, processed meats and all sorts of other things. This is a really healthy dinner, which I have served with brown rice for an even bigger health boost! The "Just Cook" Sainsbury's chicken is really nice actually, it's always moist and tasty, but as I've mentioned in the recipe, I would cook it 40 minutes rather than 50 as it suggests. Also it says on the packet "ideal size for 3 people".....yeah right, what, 3 midgets??

Healthy Chicken and Cauliflower Curry (serves 2/3)
Just Cook Butter basted chicken breast joint (from Sainsbury's)
1 tsp vegetable oil
300g ripe tomatoes, diced
1 green chilli, finely diced
¼ tsp asafoetida
¼ tsp hot chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp lemon juice
Handful fresh coriander, chopped (plus a little extra for garnish)
1 tbsp medium curry powder
400ml chicken stock
320g frozen cauliflower
2 tsp flour, mixed with a little water
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste

1. Cook the chicken joint according to packet instructions (although I reckon it only needs 40 minutes in the oven, not 50 like it recommends). Remove from the oven, dice and set aside.
2. Fry the tomatoes, chilli, fresh coriander and all the spices for 8 minutes, stirring often. Add the cooked chicken and chicken stock, and cook on a high heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the cauliflower, lower to a medium heat, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
3. Add the flour/water mixture, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until thickened. Season to taste, and serve with some extra fresh coriander on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment