Friday, December 27, 2013
Recipe: Chestnut Roast
Chestnut Roast (serves 4)
90g butter (plus an extra 5g for buttering the tin)
2 red onions, finely chopped
1 tbsp wholemeal flour
200ml vegetable stock
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
225g ground almonds
110g brown breadcrumbs
450g chestnut puree
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Butter, and line (with greaseproof paper) a 2 pound loaf tin. Fry the onion in 60g of the butter, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until softened. Remove 2 tbsp of the onion and set aside.
2. Add the wholemeal flour to the remaining onions, mix well, and stir in the vegetable stock. Cook gently for a few minutes until thick, and remove from the heat. Add the herbs, almonds, breadcrumbs, 1 of the eggs, and seasoning to taste. Set this bowl aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 180C. Mix the chestnut puree well with the remaining egg, remaining 30g of butter, and the reserved 2 tbsp of cooked onions. Season this mixture to taste.
4. Put half of the almond/breadcrumb mixture into the loaf tin and spread evenly. Top with all of the chestnut puree mixture, and spread evenly. Top with the other half of the almond/breadcrumb mixture, smooth over, and cover loaf tin tightly with two layers of tin foil.
5. Place loaf in the oven for 90 minutes. Remove from the oven, let rest for 5 minutes, remove the tin foil, and carefully turn out onto a plate/serving dish. Decorate as desired, and serve!