Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Recipe: Spinach and Courgette Lasagne
A wonderful creation made from my veg box offerings! A healthier twist on lasagne- full of vegetables, and (despite having a fair amount of cheese on the top!) it doesn't use a bechamel sauce, so the calorie count is lowered just that little bit! Serve this with a mixed salad, and enjoy on one of these lovely hot summer days! (Even i'm getting a bit of a tan, and I usually look like Dracula's long lost sister!)
Courgette and Spinach Lasagne (serves 5) £1.27 per portion, with 50g side salad.
Lasagne + filling
Around 12 sheets of dried lasagne
2 tbsp olive oil
½ white onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
450g finely diced courgettes
200g chopped true spinach (or baby spinach)
260g cottage cheese
Salt and pepper
125g grated cheddar
400ml tomato passata
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp sugar
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Put the lasagne sheets in boiling water and boil for 6 minutes. Drain, pour a little oil on top (to stop them sticking) and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the diced courgettes and cook for a further five minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until wilted and well mixed with the other ingredients.
3. Take the vegetables off the heat, mix with cottage cheese, season to taste and set aside. Preheat the fan oven to 180C (or normal oven to 200C).
4. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat up all the sauce ingredients in a pan for 5 minutes, season to taste and set aside.
5. Layer the courgette mixture first, then a few pasta sheets, then tomato sauce. Repeat the process (ending with the tomato sauce), top with grated cheddar, and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and slice into portions. Serve!