Thursday, December 30, 2010
Recipe: Nigel Slater's Chocolate Cookies
I promised my mum I would make this on Christmas day- we saw it on Nigel Slater's "Simple Suppers" program and we were both drooling- they look so GORGE. Here is a link to the original recipe (I tweaked it slightly to my taste/ to make easier): http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chocolate_cookies_with_95245
They turned out a little flatter looking than Nigel's- but they were still scrumptious. Nice and chewy cookies- which are the type my mum likes.
Nigel Slater’s Chocolate Cookies (makes 12 massive cookies)
100g milk chocolate, broken up into little pieces
100g good quality dark chocolate, broken up into little pieces
200 light muscovado sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 medium eggs
50g skinned hazelnuts, toasted
150g self raising flour
1. Heat the oven to 180C. In a bowl, under a pan of water, slowly melt the pieces of chocolate.
2. Meanwhile, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.
3. Chop up the toasted hazelnuts roughly and add to the mix. Pour in the melted chocolate and stir in until well mixed. Finally add the flour and mix until a thick paste.
4. Onto a greaseproof paper lined baking tray, add 6 rounded tbsp of the mix and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. After the first batch has cooled, bake the other six.
5. Serve, either with a glass of hot milk in the winter or some cherries and whipped cream in the summer.