Saturday, December 11, 2010

Recipe: Cider and Mustard Chicken


Often when I mention in conversation to people that I am a chef, a question that pops up quite regularly is "what would you call your signiture dish?". I think this is as close as it comes. At least I could say its West Country like I am- Plenty of cider! Of course, i would tart it up a bit if doing it in a restaurant/dinner party. I'd roast 2 chicken supremes (Boned chicken breasts with the skin still on) and pour the cider sauce over it (nicer presentation-wise). But this is of course an easier quicker way of doing it. This time I served it with couscous, because I didn't have too much time on my hands, but I think it goes best with a load of creamy mash and buttered savoy cabbage!

Cider and Mustard Chicken (serves 2) £1.84 per person (with 100g dried couscous per person)

2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onion sliced
1 garlic clove
2 large Chicken breasts cubed
1 tbsp flour
300ml cider
1 rounded tbsp wholegrain mustard
Salt, sugar and pepper to taste

1. Heat up the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Cook onions, garlic and chicken for 15 minutes.
2. Stir in flour, add cider, and cook for two minutes.
3. Add mustard, cook for 10 minutes. Season to taste and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Pity time was your enemy when preparing this meal as the food in the photo looks a bit odd side by side. There's a glob of cider mustard chicken beside a perfectly formed couscous. ► It would appear much more appetizing (to me) with a dollop of creamy mashed spud alongside a generous serving of buttered savoy cabbage! ◄

    ReplyDelete