Thursday, November 18, 2010

Recipe: Tasty Passata

Hello everyone. I haven't posted in ages, I know, but November has been (and I expect will continue to be) a very busy month for me. I have had a couple of important coursework deadlines, and I had my 20th birthday yesterday! No longer a teenager, yaay! Had a wonderful party, at one of my local pubs, the Ring'O'Bells. About 20-30 of my mates, plenty of drinks- oh and a really nice buffet from the RingO's kitchen. Fab stuff- first of all some hot mushroom spinach and mozzarella wraps, cold cut wiltshire ham, sticky barbequed chicken thighs and legs, tomato salad, cous cous salad, olives and pesto, and plenty of homemade bread. For puds some brownies and gert big cheeseboards. My boyfriend Nick made me the most beautiful cake:

I got some awesome foodie presents as well. Got Nigella's new cookbook from my brother, a funny recipe book called the "Hungoevr" cookbook (full of things like fishfinger + chutney sandwiches and bloody mary's) a really massive cool looking Authentic Indian Cookery book, and a grow your own chilli kit.

So yeah, shall be getting myself busy with those for a while. This recipe here is a base 'passata' kinda thing that i use as a base for a fair few of my recipes. It's sometimes nice to use it instead of a tin of tomatoes, as it's packed full of flavour. Fantastic as a base tomato sauce for pasta, in beef mince dishes, and vegetable soups. I use it most often in my Beef and Aduki bean stew.

Tasty Passata (makes 1 litre) Serves 3 as a soup, 4 as a base sauce- 65p per person as soup with bread and butter, or 36p per portion as a base sauce.

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 white onion, diced
1 large celery stick, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 tbsp concentrated tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 fresh or 2 dried bay leaves
2 tsp sugar
600ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Sautee onions, celery and carrot in 2 tbsp of the olive oil, covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add all other ingredients and cook covered on a medium for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove bayleaf/leaves and pour into a blender/food processor. Blend until smooth, season to taste, and it is now ready! It will last 3 days if put into a sealed jar in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Mel, I just wanted to say congratulations on becoming a "twenty-something"! Nick's cake is lovely too.

    TexasTitch XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you darling, i had such a wonderful party! I guess i have been posting on here a little less, but that might be because i'm working on a bit of a recipe book that *fingers crossed* i intend to publish.

    Also because i have so much college work it's insane.....

    ReplyDelete