Thursday, October 7, 2010
Recipe: Herby Chicken and Cherry Tomato Penne
To be fair, as you can see from the picture, I have used farfalle this time rather than penne. I also used my fresh home grown tomatoes in this, rather than cherry tomatoes. That's whats nice about this recipe- it can be very easily adapted. I mean, I guess this is how I came up with this- just used what I found in the cupboards at the time, but it is rather scrumptious and very healthy too.
Herby Penne with roast chicken and cherry tomatoes (serves 2-3)
2 chicken legs, skin on
Olive oil (to drizzle)
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
14 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic, crushed
Pinch of sugar
2 tbsp chopped dill
3 tbsp chopped basil
Zest of one lemon, and a squeeze of juice
Salt and lots of black pepper to taste
Grated parmesan to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200C. On a baking tray, place the two legs of chicken, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle some thyme and a little seasoning over. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken from the oven and leave to cool. Once cool, remove the skin and get the meat off from the bones. Set aside.
3. Boil the penne according to the packet instructions (cook until al dente).
4. Meanwhile sauté the cherry tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in the extra virgin olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken leg meat, and cook for 3 more minutes.
5. Drain the pasta and add to the tomatoes and chicken. Add the dill, basil and lemon, and cook for a couple more minutes or until all the ingredients are combined and hot.
6. Season to taste and garnish with freshly grated parmesan.