Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Recipe: Stuffed Roasted Butternut Squash
I feel that now it is officially Autumn, and with the season of Autumn arrives the wonderful array of squashes and pumpkins! I use butternut squashes mostly, as I find them easier to prepare than most pumpkin varieties. I got the squashes from Linda's farm again and they were really sweet and had a great texture. They are smaller than the ones you get in the shops though, but in my experience I find that the smaller butternut squashes tend to be sweeter, so In the supermarket I usually avoid the larger ones. This is a lovely recipe, I used my own homegrown courgettes and tomatoes, and the goats cheese I got at a fabulous french market (at which i also bought some stunning gourmet coffees!)
Stuffed Roasted Butternut Squash (serves 4) £1.59 per portion with side salad.
2 small butternut squash, peeled and halved vertically
Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
300g (about 1 or 2) courgettes, diced
1 red onion, thickly sliced
2 ripe large tomatoes, quartered
Drizzle olive oil
Salt and pepper
100g goat’s cheese, diced
35g wholemeal breadcrumbs
15g pine nuts
20g finely grated parmesan
1 tsp dried thyme
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Scoop out the seeds and some of the flesh, to make four “fill-able” halves. Put the butternut squash halves into a roasting tin, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, add some salt and pepper, and place in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
2. Put the courgettes, red onion, tomato, olive oil, salt and pepper into a roasting dish, and roast in the oven for 30 minutes (stir up halfway through).
3. Mix all the dry ingredients (breadcrumbs, pine nuts, parmesan and thyme) together in a bowl.
4. Remove the roasted vegetable mixture from the oven. Put into a bowl and mix together with the goats cheese. Stuff the butternut squash halves with the roast vegetable and goats cheese mixture. Top with the breadcrumb mixture.
5. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the topping is crispy and golden. Serve!