Thursday, September 16, 2010

Recipe: Chicken Rogan Josh

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, these last couple of weeks have been such a palava. My college (Bath College) suddenly cancelled one of my A2 Level courses. I basically turned up on enrollment day (a few days before the start of college) and they just said "Oh we've stopped doing Film Studies here". Just like that. Gave me no suggestions on what to do, they just didn't care. I'd already applied for University saying that I would be completing 3 a levels this year (which is the neccessary qualifications needed for me to do my course). So i had to run around rather quickly and worringly, and find somewhere that I could do finish my a levels, or find an alternative way of doing them. Well, turns out that (very luckily!) I have managed to get into a local Sixth Form College. Of course everyone knows eachother from last year and i'm all my own and having to be "the new girl" which is a rather distressing situation. I am also allready fairly behind on this colleges work, as they began the year earlier. Anyway, can't rant anymore- I just think it's despicable what Bath College has got away with- and im glad i have washed my hands of them. If they mess up my University application I will TAKE THEM DOWN.

So this is a fairly healthy curry, and made with some of my own homegrown tomatoes as well. It is also really easy to convert this recipe into a vegetarian one- just use a 350g pack of quorn chicken style pieces instead of the chicken, and use 300ml vegetable stock instead of the chicken stock (the quorn tends to soak up more liquid than chicken). Oh and this is the last of my pepper recipes this season, I promise!I find it hard when autumn starts, to suddenly withdraw from the summer's wonderful produce.

Chicken Rogan Josh (serves 3) £1.77 per person, with 70g uncooked basics rice (then cooked).

3 tbsp oil
1 white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 rounded tbsp Rogan josh curry paste
2 chicken breasts, cut into fairly large chunks
1 tin chopped tomatoes
200ml chicken stock
½ red pepper, diced
½ green pepper, diced
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced into wedges
salt, sugar and pepper to taste
1 tbsp natural yoghurt and a little smoked paprika for garnish

1. Cook onions and garlic for a few minutes until softened, add curry paste and cook for a further minute. Add diced chicken and cook for a couple of minutes.
2. Add tinned tomatoes, peppers and chicken stock, and cook for 15 minutes, with the lid on.
3. Remove lid, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, cook for the last 15 minutes, or until sauce is thick and the tomatoes are soft. season to taste and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment