Friday, August 20, 2010
Recipe: Vegetarian Chilli Cottage Pie
I love shepherd's and cottage pies. Quorn is a very interesting ingredient as well. It doesn't taste of very much but it's a very good absorber of flavours. Quorn is a low fat alternative to beef as well. Not that it really makes a difference in this comforting calorific dish! Quorn is made from a protein obtained from mushrooms, mixed with egg whites and various other natural ingredients. I have made this dish with beef mince as well, and also with leftover beef chilli. Mince is such an economical ingredient, it can be utilised in so many different dishes and you can really make it go a long way. Serve this dish with steamed green vegetables and a thick flavoursome gravy.
Vegetarian Chilli Cottage Pie (serves 6) £1.50 per portion, or £1.64 per portion with 80g frozen peas as side dish per person. Also, less than £1.50 per portion if made with basics beef mince or Sainsburys own brand veggie mince!!
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
100g white mushrooms, chopped
½ tsp smoked paprika
100ml white wine
1 tsp cumin
Pinch white pepper
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp mild chilli powder
350g pack of Quorn mince
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
200ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp Worchester sauce
10g coriander leaves and stems chopped
1350g potatoes, peeled and diced into large chunks
2 tbsp butter
Drizzle double cream
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
120g cheddar, grated
1. In a saucepan sauté the onions, garlic, oregano and thyme in olive oil, covered for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and smoked paprika and cook (uncovered) for 2 minutes.
2. Add the white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add all other mince ingredients and cook for 35 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until soft enough to mash (takes about 20 minutes). Drain and mash the potatoes. Mix in the butter, double cream and mustard.
4. Adjust seasoning (salt, pepper and sugar to taste) on the mince and mash. Pour the mince into a large baking dish. Spoon and smooth the mash over the mince. Top with grated cheddar.
5. Put the grill onto a high heat. Put the pie under the grill until the topping is melted and golden. Serve.