Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Recipe: Creamy Rice Stuffed Courgettes
I had some of the courgette and chive dip left and a few courgettes so I decided to make some stuffed courgettes. They were really tasty and filling. I served them with a herby tomato sauce.
Creamy Rice Stuffed Courgettes (serves 3) £1.26 per portion, £1.44 with salad.
150g basmati rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 large ripe tomato, seeded and diced
220g sour cream and chive dip or tzatziki
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper
90g finely grated cheddar
1. Cook the rice about 2 minutes less than the packet instructions advice. This is so the rice doesn’t become overcooked once baked in the oven. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the oven to 200C. Halve the courgettes lengthwise (don’t cut the ends of the stems off like you would normally do). With a small spoon scoop out the flesh in the middle (being careful not to go totally through the courgettes) until you are left with 6 hollow “boat-like” courgette halves, ready for filling.
3. In a saucepan heat the olive oil. Add the courgette flesh and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked rice, dip, tomato, extra virgin olive oil and some black pepper. Stir until well combined.
4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place the courgette halves on to the tray. Sprinkle the insides with a little bit of salt. Spoon the rice mixture into the courgette halves generously.
5. Place the finely grated cheddar evenly over the top of the stuffed courgettes. Place the tray in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove and serve!