Thursday, August 5, 2010

Recipe: Courgettes in Herby Cherry Tomato Sauce


Ugh, sorry I haven't posted in a while, i've been really busy lately. I'm having to write my personal statement for University, which i have been putting off for a while, but I know I HAVE to do it. And it's important. And important things makes me nervous! It's so silly that i'm writing an application to University, when I don't know whether i've even passed my As levels yet, let alone my A2! Plus someone recently left at work so im working double hours that I would normally do. Which I don't mind, I love work and I need the moola! This is another tasty fresh way of using home-grown courgettes. I served them on the side of chickpea and mushroom rissoles and with a homegrown cos lettuce salad.

Sautéed courgettes in a herby cherry tomato sauce (serves 3 as a side dish) £1.25 per portion

2 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
225g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp Italian seasoning (a mixture of dried oregano, thyme and basil)
20g basil, roughly chopped
Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste

3 tbsp olive oil
600g (about 4) courgettes, sliced
Salt and pepper
Grated parmesan to serve

1. Sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the cherry tomatoes, tinned tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, and Italian seasoning, and cooked covered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
2. Add the basil, cook for another 5 minutes. Pour into a blender/food processor and blend until smooth. Add a little extra virgin olive oil, season to taste, and set aside.
3. In another pan, sauté the courgettes with seasoning in olive oil for about 10-15 minutes, until soft and starting to go golden. Drain any excess oil from the pan. Add the blended tomato sauce, cook for 5 minutes, and serve with some freshly grated parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment