Friday, August 27, 2010

Recipe: Courgette and Feta Risotto


Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I have some good news for y'all! I got my A's level results last week and I got three B's! Very happy with these grades as those are the grades I wanted. Finger's crossed that I get three C's overall next year, and that i get a place at Bath Spa University. Due to my exam results I took a little celebratory trip to Edinburgh for a few days- to see my boyfriend, to see plenty of Comedy shows in the Fringe festival, and to have a few well earned drinks! I had never been to Scotland before so it had real fun, and Edinburgh is such a beautiful city- with good restaurants, cafes, bars and delis everywhere you look! Anyway, just before I went away I made something out of the courgettes I had harvested. Even though I used a courgette up on this dish, AND I brought some courgettes with me to Edinburgh (as part of a home-made foodie gift basket), when I got back from holiday I still had to pick three HUGE "marrow shaped" ones. I think maybe next year I only need two plants- i seem to be planning all my summer meals on this vegetable alone! Anyway, this is a scrumtious recipe, enjoy!

Courgette and Feta Risotto (serves 2 generously- £1.43 per portion)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 courgette, halved and sliced
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small white onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ tsp dried mint
170g risotto rice
100ml white wine
500ml vegetable stock
8g fresh basil, roughly chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
100g feta, chopped into small cubes
Freshly grated parmesan to serve

1. Sautee the courgettes in the extra virgin olive oil and seasoning for 8 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally. Remove the courgettes with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. In another pan, heat up the olive oil. Cook the onion and garlic, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add dried mint, rice and white wine, and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes (or until most of the wine has been absorbed).
3. Gradually add the stock, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente (this should take about 10-12 minutes). 2 minutes before serving add the basil and the reserved courgettes.
4. Once the risotto is ready, add the feta, stir in and serve with some freshly grated parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment