Friday, July 2, 2010

Recipe: Vanilla cupcakes with Pink Butter Icing


My Goodness Me! June has been such a busy month for me, hence the small amount of posts. I do apologise for this, but i've had all that exam malarky to be revising for and panicking about, and i have also been on my summer Holiday as well, often known as "Glastonbury Festival!" Also my camera has been acting up, and i don't really like putting my recipes up without pictures, so hopefully my dad will help me fix it. I will definitely be posting up much more this month.

Anyway, so rather rushed, just before heading off to Glastonbury (In a VW Campervan this year! Was Fab!) for nine days (I help out backstage at the Babylon Bandstand) I really wanted to make a gift for my friend's birthday. I decided to make cupcakes, and someone from the BBC food forums put me onto this fantastic recipe, from the Mail Online, a recipe from "The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook" by Tarek Malouf. Heres the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1169988/Web-exclusive-food-book-week-The-Hummingbird-Bakery.html

All i have done to change the recipe is double it, change the method a little bit to make it less fussy (and not using handmixers- just brute force!lol) make the icing pink, and piped musical notes on to the top of them. My friend is a fantastic Jazz Singer (originally from Oklahoma!) hence the musical note motif.

Unfortunately I couldn't be there when they were consumed! But I have heard everyone at the party really enjoyed them, heres a picture of the Birthday Boy:

Vanilla Cupcakes with Pink butter icing (makes 24) 21p per cupcake.

240g plain flour
280g caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
80g softened unsalted butter
240ml whole milk
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract

The icing
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter (room temperature)
50ml whole milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
A few drops red colouring

For Decoration
Kraft Black decorating icing (with the writing tip)

1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a large bowl and mix together until you get a slightly sandy texture, and all the ingredients are fully mixed.
2. In a separate bowl mix the milk with the eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine both mixtures well. Spoon the mix into the cases (until about 2/3rds full)into a 12 hole cupcake/muffin tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and the sponge bounces back
4. Mix all the icing ingredients together, first the icing sugar, butter, and milk, and then the vanilla and colouring. You may need to add more milk, check consistency whilst you are mixing. It takes a while to mix the icing ingredients together to a smooth paste without the icing sugar going everywhere, but its worth it in the end.
5. Put icing into a piping bag (with a star tip) and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Then on top of the pink, carefully pipe the black writing icing into musical notes. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment