Saturday, July 24, 2010

Recipe: Indian Onion Salad and Mint Yoghurt

A few days ago I had my second dinner party! I utterly love dinner parties, because in general I just love cooking for friends. Although I cook for people all the time, in the restaurant, because I don't tend to get feedback and I dont know them, so it's more like catering for numbers rather than "real people". It was an Indian themed dinner party, for five (it was four originally but my boyfriend brought another friend from the pub so it was lucky I usually make a little too much!).

For starter I made my homemade mango chutney, homemade onion salad, homemade mint sauce and lime pickle, with loads of warm poppadoms from next door (we live next to an Indian take away which is very convenient!). For mains we had my Keema Matar and Mixed Vegetable balti with some spiced rice. And for dessert we had a "strawberry shrikhand", which is like an indian spiced honeyed yoghurt with fruit. It went down really well. Aaanyway, so I thought I would give you my recipes for onion salad and mint yoghurt, they taste really really good, and are very similar to what you get in Indian Restaurants, but even nicer!

Indian Onion Salad  (costs £1.09 if served for 2 as a side salad)

1/2 large white onion, diced
2 inch piece of cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
4 ripe cherry tomatoes, diced
3 tbsp finely chopped coriander (leaves and stems)
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint (just leaves)
Juice of ½ a lemon
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste

1. Mix all the ingredients together, adjust seasoning to personal preference and serve.

Indian Mint Yoghurt (costs £1.76)
300g natural yoghurt
1 ½ tbsp mint sauce
1 tbsp smooth mango chutney
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
Salt, pepper and sugar to taste

1. Mix all the ingredients together, adjust seasoning to personal preference and serve.

12 comments:

  1. Love this! I just posted about a similar salad over at my blog (http://agrainofcumin.blogspot.com) An Indian buffet that I went to recently added crushed papadums to theirs for an extra crunch. It was an interesting variation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indian Onion Salad and Mint Yoghurt recipe is very colorful and attractive. Here many simple Salad recipes are yummy and excellent taste. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Apoorva, and i intend to post up some more delicious salad and indian recipes up soon, as i know both can be full of flavour as well as being very healthy for you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omnomnomnomnom! Making this for the second time for my daughter who is visiting from That London... Thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny these dishes are probably some of my most simplest recipes but they are also the most popular on the blog! I'm glad you and your daughter like, did you have it with poppadoms and the like or on the side of a curry? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. just done the Indian onion salad me and the Mrs love . my daughters up town gonna get her to get some popadoms yummy :-*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, really hope you liked it with the poppadoms! The onion salad is also a really nice side dish for chicken/lamb tikka dishes, or Indian baked snacks (like Samosas and Koftas)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Loved the salad but loved the dip more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's allright Darren- you're welcome! If you like indian dips/accompaniments, you might fancy having a go at making your own mango chutney- i have a recipe on the blog here, you'll find it under chutneys/preserves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.. well i will must try the mint youghurt and onion salad.. i hope it will add more taste in my meal.
    Best curry in Manchester

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the simplest, best tasting recipes I have found on the internet and they taste pretty close to what you get from an indian restaurant! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! This is my most popular recipe on the blog actually and i think it's generally people looking for the authentic indian restaurant/takeaway taste!

    ReplyDelete