Saturday, July 24, 2010
Recipe: Baked Feta with Grilled Pepper Salad
Nice and mediterranean, this dish is vibrant, tasty and very healthy. Peeling the skins off the peppers can be a pit of a palava but once the salad is made the nice roasty flavours you get from it is delicious. You can do the peppers under the grill like suggested, but if you have a blowtorch (which i do...somehwere....I think its up in the loft or something!) you can use that instead which is a bit of a quicker way to do it. I will say it serves 2 as a starter, but add a big slice of good crusty bread with butter on the side to mop up the salad juices, and you've got a fab light lunch.
Baked Feta with grilled mixed pepper salad (serves 2 as a starter)
1 small green chilli, chopped finely
½ tsp dried oregano
Ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
2 red peppers
2 yellow peppers
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
Salt, sugar and pepper to taste
1. Put the grill onto a high heat. Put the peppers (whole) onto a tray lined with foil. Drizzle with olive oil and place under the grill. You should grill the peppers for about 6 minutes on each side. Do not worry if the peppers are slightly blackened as you can peel the blackened skin off.
2. Once the peppers are grilled both sides, put into a bowl with the lid on, to allow the peppers to “steam themselves”. Leave them for ten minutes.
3. Meanwhile heat the oven to 200C. Lay out a piece of foil on a baking tray. Place the block of feta, sprinkle over the green chilli, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle some black pepper. Scrunch the foil up around the feta to make a sealed “parcel”. Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, get the peppers out of their bowl and peel most the skin/ blackened parts of the peppers off (the peppers will probably be hot still- its good to have tough fingers!). Chop in half, remove the stems and seeds, and roughly chop.
5. Place the chopped roasted peppers into a bowl with the parsley, vinegar, capers, 2 tsps of extra virgin olive oil, and season to taste.
6. Take the feta out of the oven, open up the parcel, cut in half and carefully place the feta halves on 2 plates. Divide the pepper salad between the two plates and serve.