Thursday, May 20, 2010

Recipe: Keema Matar


Hello everyone. So I did allright in my Film Studies exam in the end! Apparently (I wouldn't know because I get extra time in the exam, so was last person left in the hall) a few of the blokes came out and just said "Aced it!". I am not sure whether I have 'aced it', however, I feel that I did O.K and have passed it at least, which is the most important thing. Although road work (including v loud drills) going on outside a pub opposite the hall doesn't really help my concentration. Hopefully that will have finished by my next exam next week. This recipe is something that I plan to cook as a main dish for an indian dinner party I am hoping to host soon. Alongside it I will serve fragrant homemade pilau rice, and some other curry- not sure what yet, maybe my Shahi Paneer. Keema literally means "minced meat" in indian/turkish, but most commonly it is referring to lamb or goat. Also, this recipe was published in "Take a Break's My Favourite Recipes" Magazine, and won me £25.

Keema Matar (serves 3)  £1.70 per portion (£1.74 with rice)

3 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp crushed ginger
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
½ tsp turmeric
3 pods cardamom, seeds crushed in a mortar and pestle
1.5 tsp garam masala
500g minced lamb
1 chicken stock cube
½ tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
200g frozen peas
Salt and black pepper to taste
Handful fresh coriander chopped

1. Sautee the onion garlic, ginger, cumin seeds and chilli in the oil for 3 minutes. Add the cinnamon stick, turmeric, cardmom,1 tsp of the garam masala, and cook for a further two minutes.
2. Add the lamb mince with a little salt and pepper, increase the heat to high, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock cube, chilli powder, sugar, cinnamon, ½ tsp of garam masala and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste, and garnish with plenty of fresh chopped coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment