Sunday, May 16, 2010

Recipe: Chorizo, Chickpea and Cabbage Soup


I'm sorry i haven't posted as many recipes this month as I normally would have. I have been so busy revising you see. I am just one of these people that panic terribly about exams. I mean, I am not as bad as having nose bleeds or panic attacks or anything, but I do get very nervous. I am doing As level exams this year, the subjects I am doing are English Language, English Literature and Film Studies. Film Studies exam is on wednesday, wish me luck!!!! Anyway, this is a nice recipe. Not sure whether to call it a soup or stew, as it is rather chunky- but not particularly thick. The optional roasted red peppers I use for garnish- What I do is I get those ready roasted peppers from jars, spread them out flat on a tray, and put in the oven with a little olive oil and seasoning and roast for 20 minutes, just to get them hot and a little most 'roasty'. Then I slice them up and put them on top. It is important not to use a very salty chicken stock in this recipe, because the chorizo is fairly salty in itself. Using fresh is best.

This recipe was also published in local magazine Pukka Bath.

Chorizo, chickpea and cabbage soup (serves 2) £1.23 per portion

1 tbsp olive oil
75g diced chorizo
1 red onion, diced
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tin chickpeas, drained
500ml chicken stock
100g white cabbage, sliced
2 bay leaves
Squeeze of lemon
Salt and pepper
Roasted red pepper (optional garnish)
Wedges of lemon (for garnish)

1. Add chorizo to the oil, and cook for a few minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook until coloured.
2. Add chickpeas and cabbage, stir around for a few minutes, and add chicken stock, bay leaves and seasoning (plenty of black pepper but go easy on the salt- the chorizo is fairly salty already) . Cook for 20 minutes.
3. Add squeeze of lemon, cook for a further 10 minutes and serve.

2 comments:

  1. my mum cooked this for me ages ago and I've been trying to find the recipe for AGES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, i'm glad you found it- it's a very nice recipe, and of course cabbage is still very much in season right now. Infact I entered this into a cabbage recipe competition- but i'm not sure whether i've won it yet, "Fingers Crossed"!

    ReplyDelete