Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Recipe: Caramelised Shallot Tart


Oh god. My film studies exam is tommorow. I am so nervous. Oh god. I am just so bad with exams. Nerrrrvous. I just feel like they are always so important, it just really stresses me out. I have revised a lot for this though, so i's sure i will be O.K. I love onions and garlic so much. I made this tonight as a bit of comfort food to sooth my nerves really- this is my perfected onion tart recipe. It is simple, hasn't got too many ingredients and is very tasty. On the side of this I served sauteed courgettes with kalamata olives.

The recipe for my Caramelised Shallot Tart, with my lurvelly picture (as well as a couple of other recipes and details of the competition) was published today in various regional publications, mostly in "The Black Country", Birmingham, West Midlands and Yorkshire areas- Including in "The Express & Star"- which Wikipedia tells me is the "the biggest selling regional daily paper in the UK."- Not bad eh?

Caramelised Shallot Tart (Makes 2 fairly large tarts, serves 3) £1.91 per portion

750g small shallots, skinned and halved or quartered (depending on size)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
40g butter
1 tbsp olive oil
20g light muscovado sugar
40ml brandy
1 tsp fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg, whisked (for egg wash)

1. Heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and butter and put onto a fairly high heat. Once the butter had melted, add the shallots and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the brandy and thyme, and cook for 5 more minutes. Reduce the heat and cook for 10 more minutes.
3. Season to taste. Get a sheet of ready rolled pastry, and cut two even circular shapes out. Put these circles onto baking sheet covered baking trays. Cut a border round the edge of the circles, and prick the middle parts with a fork (to stop the middle from rising).
4. Spoon the onion mixture onto the middle of the two bases evenly. Brush egg round the border of the pastry, and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment