Sunday, May 16, 2010

Recipe: Aloo Matar


I know I know, another curry- but you must forgive me, the love of curry seems to be in my genes. A Booth tradition I believe, or something that will certainly become one. My dad's mum used to cook curries for him in the 60s (or 70s?)- and apparently quite good ones, albeit with sultana a-plenty. My dad wasn't just left with the old beef vesta. I have got a picture somewhere of my 'first trip to an indian restaurant', probably about 6 years old I think, where i look ecstatic and my mum looks rather tipsy! Haha. The restaurant is called Bengal Brasserie, and I am still a regular there. This dish is finished off with my lovely home-grown coriander! If you aren't totally aware of indian terms, Aloo means potato and Matar (or Mutter- various spellings) means peas.

This recipe also won me £50 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of "Tried and Tested Recipes" recipe sharing website.

Aloo Matar (serves 3, with rice and naans)

4 tbsp vegetable oil
500g new potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 tsp crushed ginger
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
300g chopped fresh tomatoes
5 bay leaves
100ml water
1/2 tsp salt
160g fresh peas
Fresh coriander for garnish

1. Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat. Add potatoes (in batches depending on the size of your pan) and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside in a bowl covered by some kitchen towel.
2. Lower the heat a little, and in the same pan add cumin seeds and cook for about a minute to release the flavour. Add the onions, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
3. Add turmeric, garam masala, tomatoes and bay leaves, and cook covered for about 10 minutes. Add just a splash of water, in order to help the tomatoes to soften into a sauce.
4. Add the water, salt, peas and the reserved potatoes and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce is thickened and the potatoes are completely cooked. Season with extra salt and black pepper to taste, and serve with some chopped fresh coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment