Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Recipe: Nigella's Chocolate Mousse


As you can see by the recipes on here, I don't often make desserts. It's not that I don't have a sweet tooth (oooh I do!!) or that I don't enjoy creating puds- but I often don't because usually me and my family are too full after dinner to have something sweet after! And although i love baking, if a baked a batch of muffins, i'd end up wasting them because our family of four don't eat cakes and things every day.

Anyway, because I may be hosting my first dinner party soon, I thought I might practice a few desserts (because i'm not going to do a 'Come Dine With Me' and make something for the first time for guests!).

The dessert needed to be easy, couldn't have too many ingredients, and couldn't be too complicated. This fits the bill rather well, I was very impressed by the flavour- it isnt as "light" as an egg white based mousse, but im a little intolerant to egg anyway and I don't mind because its very very tasty and still has a "moussy/fluffy" enough texture for me. And its so darn easy.

The only changes i made to lovely Nigella Lawson's recipe is by adding orange zest, cause i wanted a chocolate orange flavoured mousse, and also using good quality dark chocolate- the original recipe used "dark chocolate chips", and the cocoa quality wasnt all that good really. I may experiment with other flavours, like mint maybe, at some point.

Nigella's Chocolate Mousse (Dark Chocolate Orange flavour)- Feeds 6-8 depending on how greedy you and your friends are. 41p per serving.

60g butter
180g mini marshmallows
300g good quality dark chocolate, chopped up finely
75ml boiled water (from a kettle)
Zest of 1 orange
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract/essence

1. On a medium heat, put the butter, marshmallows, dark chocolate and boiled water in a pan, until the mixture is all properly melted (the marshmallows tend to take longer than the chocolate) keep stirring until you have a smooth liquid. Leave to cool for about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whip the double cream and vanilla extract until firm (“tip the bowl over your head firm” if you know what I mean.).
3. Pour the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream and stir through until the mixture is fully combined.
4. Pour into 6-8 glasses (martini and wine glasses work well) and place in the fridge. It only takes an hour to set. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment